'JUPITER' ENTERS AIR TATTOO ORBIT
By Jove! Organisers of the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in the Cotswolds have just been told how the Colombian Air Force intends to trump its historic and colourful participation at last summer's airshow.
The South American country says it is planning to send one of its latest – and largest – military aircraft, a KC-767 'Jupiter' tanker/transporter, to the Air Tattoo on July 20-21. The aircraft will come from 811 Transport Squadron based in the country's capital, Bogota.
Last year, the Colombian Air Force made its European airshow debut at the Air Tattoo, sending two aircraft: a small T-90 Calima trainer and a colourfully-painted C-130H Hercules on the 5,200-mile trip to the UK.
Colombia has one of the best equipped and trained air forces in South America and, among its many roles, plays an important part in fighting drug-related terrorism.
Air Tattoo Chief Executive Tim Prince said: "Last year, the Colombians sent one of the most eye-catching aircraft we have seen at the Air Tattoo for a long while and we wait with bated-breath to see what touches down in July!
"It's not every year that we get the opportunity to welcome aircraft from South America. I'm delighted that they found last summer's visit to us so valuable and enjoyable that they are keen to make the long journey once again - with an even more exciting aircraft."The Air Tattoo is the world's greatest airshow and is staged in support of the RAF Charitable Trust. July's event will feature a thrilling seven-hour flying display, a large static aircraft park and a wide range of interactive family entertainment. For a full list of all the visitor opportunities and to purchase Earlybird tickets, visit our ticket page – all under-16s go free.
January 31, 2013
10 Things You Didn't Know About Colombia
- The official language is Spanish
- Independence from Spain was won in 1819
- It's the 26th largest country – by area.
- The word 'Colombia' comes from 'Christopher Columbus'
- It is bordered by six countries
- It is known as the leading source of emeralds
- Former F1 driver Juan Pablo Montoya hails from Colombo.
- The yellow in the national flag represents all the gold found in the country
- Actor Sir Anthony Hopkins is married to Colombian Stella Arroyave
- Latin American singer Shakira is Colombian.