VEHICLES CELEBRATE JUBILEE THEME
SOME Very Important Vehicles have arrived at the Royal International Air Tattoo today (Friday) to play their part in the Air Tattoo's Jubilee-themed events.
A selection of vehicles with royal connections have been parked on the taxiway adjacent to the Diamond Jubilee Lawn for public display. All but one of the cars are owned by Her Majesty The Queen, and they have been lent to the Air Tattoo with the support of the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust.
The vehicles include: a 1951 Ford V-8 Shooting Brake, which was owned by King George VI; a 1969 Austin Princess Vanden Plas Limousine, delivered to the Royal Mews in 1972; a 1961 Vauxhall Cresta used by the Royal Mews to convey staff and luggage to stations and airports; and a 1961 Alvis TD 21 three-litre series II drophead coupe built for Prince Philip.
Also on display is a Humber Super Snipe Mark IV, one of four special open-topped models built for the Queen's 1953-54 Royal Commonwealth Tour, which retains its ER 1953 number plates. The Humber is loaned by Mr Dennis Cunningham.
The display also features childrens' cars including: a Citroen/Daimler electric car from around 1928, used by The Queen and Princess Margaret; an American-style Imperial 1 Midget Racing Car, a gift for Prince Charles in 1955, which has been used by a number of royal children; an Austin J40 built by disabled miners in Wales; an Aston Martin Volante Junior, presented to Prince Charles in 1988; and a James Bond Aston Martin, produced for Prince Andrew in 1966, and powered by two 12-volt batteries – the car even features revolving number plates, concealed dummy machine guns and water jets.
Photograph courtesy of Martin Buckley.July 6, 2012