de Havilland Dragon Rapide
The de Havilland Dragon Rapide was a 1930s British short haul passenger biplane airliner. During World War II, many of the aircraft were used by the British Armed Forces for passenger and communications role, serving under the name de Havilland Dominie. During this time a number were built specifically for military purposes and used by the RAF and Royal Navy for radio and navigation training.
The de Havilland Dragon Rapide on static display at Fairford is painted in RAF colours and therefore represents the de Havilland Dominie. The Dominie comprised the only aircraft in The King's Flight when it was reformed in 1946 at RAF Benson. It will be displayed on the Diamond Jubilee Lawn.
Photo credit: Tim Badham