The biplane designs of the Waco Aircraft Company - Waco in fact being an acronym, standing for Weaver Aircraft Company of Ohio - became famous during the inter-war years. Today they remain deeply redolent of that period, so much so that a new production run of one model has been implemented. The UPF-7 was a training variant with tandem seating, first flown in 1937 and used extensively by the US Civilian Pilot Training Program, which did much to build up the numbers of American pilots available for wartime duties. Its engine is a 220hp Continental W-670 radial. The example owned by Nigel Finlayson and David Peters, and based at Little Gransden in Cambridgeshire, dates from 1941.
Photo credit: Ben Dunnell