RAF Slingsby Grasshopper
Gliding was a key part of the clandestine re-armament of Nazi Germany, training a cadre of future front-line pilots at a time when military aviation there was officially banned. One of the major types to emerge after that period was the Schneider DFS 108-14 SG-38, the Schulgleiter (school glider), dating from 1938. Upon the end of World War Two its design was adopted by British firm Slingsby to produce the T38 Grasshopper, using the wing of the earlier Kirby Cadet. First flown in 1952, the aircraft was used by the Air Cadets as the Grasshopper TX1, a total of 115 being procured. Launched by means of a bungee cord, these gliders became a very familiar sight at ATC and Combined Cadet Force units around Britain, able to take to the air from school playing fields. A similar type also derived from the SG-38 was the Elliotts of Newbury (EoN) Eton TX1.