The Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar Spitfire IX MK912 was built at Castle Bromwich and delivered to the RAF in March 1944. Its first operator was No 84 Group Support Unit at Aston Down, followed by No 312 (Czech) Squadron. Sold off in 1946, the aircraft went to the Royal Netherlands Air Force and then the Belgian Air Force. Once its service days were over, MK912 spent more than 30 years as a gate guardian at Brustem-St Truiden air base in Belgium. It was sold to Guy Black of the Historic Aircraft Collection in 1989, and again to Historic Flying, who restored the aircraft and flew it again from Audley End in September 2000. Having been exported to Canada for Ed Russell's collection during 2003, MK912 was acquired by Peter Monk in 2011 and, back in the UK, now forms part of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar fleet. Its markings, complete with D-Day invasion stripes, are those of No 64 Squadron.