Trust Helps Squadron Display History
Published: 28 Nov 2016 updated: 02 Dec 2016
Silverware and artefacts from a legendary RAF Battle of Britain Squadron that have been in store for more than half a century are now proudly on display thanks to the RAF Charitable Trust.
The items belong to No 605 (County of Warwick) Sqn RAuxAF which served in several key theatres of operation during World War Two, including the Battle of Britain, the defence of Malta and the war against the Japanese before being disbanded in 1957.
During its operational life, the squadron accumulated a collection of silverware and decorative pieces that were displayed at dinner nights and in the squadron HQ but following the disbandment, these items were passed for safekeeping to Stratford-upon-Avon Town Council and Coventry City Council.
However, in 2014, following a Government announcement that that it would be relying more on RAF reserves, the squadron was re-formed as a Logistics Support Squadron based at RAF Cosford near Wolverhampton.
Since then, the squadron has been keen to reclaim their historical items and put them on prominent display, to serve as a focal point for the new squadron and as a reminder of its illustrious past. So the squadron approached the RAF Charitable Trust which approved a grant of £1,470 to purchase a secure display cabinet.
Last month the squadron HQ was formally opened by Air Officer Commanding 38 Gp, Air Vice-Marshal S C Gray who drew attention to the cabinet and the significance of its contents.
A spokesman for the squadron said: "We are exceedingly grateful to the RAF Charitable Trust for making this grant, and supporting our desire to recognise the squadron's history and plan for its future."
Trustees also approved a grant of £945 for the squadron to purchase a sofa for their new reception area.