Hide search form
The G.46 was the first single-engined aircraft designed and built by Fiat after the end of the Second World War. Developed as a trainer aircraft, both single seat and two seat versions were eventually built. Occupying the same role as the British Chipmunk, both aircraft share similar design traits including tandem seating, low slung monoplane and a tail wheel, the Fiat however also featured retracting undercarriage. Following its maiden flight in 1947 over 220 examples were built.
The Italian Air Force operated 141 G46's between 1949 and 1960 as intermediate trainers. This included 35 single seat examples, designated as the G.46-4A. Upon retirement five examples were sold to the Austrian Air Force.
A trio of two-seat G.46B's will be appearing on static display at this year's Air Tattoo as part of our celebration of the Italian Air Force centenary.
Photo Credit: Luigino Caliaro